Sunday, June 9, 2013

Get this sucker out already

A year after penning three short stories in a small collection, I’m ready to publish them. I can feel it. It’s time to let them go, to let the world read them and make an opinion on my first offering in the erotica genre.

It’s funny. I’ve spent months editing and polishing these pieces. (Short stories, mind you. I’d hate to see how much time I spend on novels.) I’m almost sick of them, yet I’m afraid that I’ve left in an error or two. What if my beta readers didn’t point out yet another impossible sex move? What if, what if, what if.

I have to trust that these are absolutely polished. These stories need to get out, or I’ll be looking over them forever. There are other stories that I want to write; I have at least 13  (hey, that’s a good number!) other ideas that I want to flesh out, and at least two of them I can complete before 2013 is done.

I’ve downloaded a text-to-audio software called NaturalReader, which has been nothing short of wonderful. My beta readers could record themselves reading the stories out loud, but they’d already done a great job on finding errors. An unfeeling voice that didn’t attempt to make the story come alive through acting was the perfect choice… and it’s incredibly hilarious with the raunchier parts.

So here’s the plan: 1) Finish up initial read-through with NaturalReader. 2) FINAL read-through with NaturalReader. 3) Finish formatting for Smashwords. 4) Publish (and make sure Smashwords’s Meatgrinder didn’t botch anything). 5) Advertise, advertise, advertise, and keep doing it. 6) Move on to another project.

Man, it’s going to feel good to get things rolling.

No comments:

Post a Comment